Makes 18 regular sized muffins or 12 jumbo muffins.
For the Spiced Walnuts
- 1 ½ cups walnut pieces
- 4 oz. sweet cream salted butter
- 1 tea. smoked paprika powder
- 1 tea. cayenne powder
- 2 tea. brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter over low heat in a saucepan, whisk in paprika, cayenne and brown sugar. Toss walnut pieces in the butter mixture.
- Lay walnuts out on a baking pan lined with tin foil, spread the walnuts evenly so they don’t overlap.
- If there is any butter mixture left in the pan, drizzle over the top of the walnuts.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until sugar has caramelized on the walnuts.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
For the Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tea. kosher salt
- 1 tea. baking soda
- 1/2 tea. baking powder
- 1/2 tea. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tea. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tea. orange extract
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup chopped spiced walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Line the muffin cups with muffin tin liners.
- Sift flour, baking soda, kosher salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a bowl.
- In a mixer, beat the sugar, oil, eggs, and orange extract in a large bowl until smooth
- Add in the banana and chopped walnuts.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups.
- Bake until golden brown about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry.
- Remove from muffin tins onto wire rack and let cool before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- 3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 oz. sweet cream salted butter, room temp
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, room temp
- 1 Tbl. agave nectar
- 1 Tbl. fresh orange zest
- In an electric mixer beat all ingredients until well blended. Chill mixture for a few minutes to firm up before frosting muffins.
Garnish with the remaining spiced walnuts.